Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dharma Travels: American Dharma Everywhere in NYC!

Hello readers! Sorry I haven't been as attentive to this blog lately. I have been, over the last few weeks, currently relocating to New York to begin my Masters program in Religion at NYU. Well I officially moved in on Sunday and let me tell you, my interesting encounters with the American Dharma have not stopped. The first morning I was in New York I ran into a Muslim women in a Abhaya texting on a Sidekick (god bless her too...it was SO hot out), and since then I've seen just about everything: giant statues of John Paul II, Hare Krishnas with bead bags, an incredibly large statue of Gwan Yin, Ramadan fast breaking at the Mosque on the corner of my street, my roommate explaining the concept of Purim to a farmer's market vendor, and a very strange store front Hindu temple. Needless to say, I think there's a lot to see and experience here and thus I am starting a new segment called "Dharma in the Big City" which will include, but won't be limited to, chance encounters, photos, and site visits. When classes start, there probably will be a lot more book reviews and theoretical reflections (I appologize in advanced, its due to the theory classes!). I don't have the internets at home yet, so for now, I'll be signing off from some random NYU student lounge.

Until next time!

PS- If you would perhaps like to contribute to this blog as a guest, let me know. It might be nice to not hear my opinion every once in awhile. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment